- 2 big onions, chopped
- 6 cups of root vegetables – combine at least two of the following: peeled and diced carrots, peeled or unpeeled diced potatoes (russet, yukon, or red), diced sweet potatoes, diced parsnip or rutabaga)
- 5+ cloves minced garlic
- Fresh thyme (around 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon minced)
- 1 to 1 ½ c frozen peas
- Veggie broth
- 6 T Flour
- 6 T Vegan butter
- Bay leaf
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft and starting to become golden
Add garlic and thyme and cook for about a minute, just to release flavors
Spoon the onion/garlic into a large bowl
- Cook the root vegetables by roasting them for 25-30 min or by simmering them in salted water for 12-15 min – don’t over cook because they’ll cook more when the pot pies are baking.
- Mix the cooked root vegetables into the onion mixture. Stir in frozen peas if you’re baking the pies right away. If not, then stir them in right before you bake.
- Make 6 cups of gravy by making a roux and then adding broth:
- Whisk together 6 T butter and 6 T flour over medium heat until it becomes a golden colored paste and is a bit bubbly (roughly 1 ½ to 2 minutes)
- Whisk in the veggie broth and stir until smooth
- Add a bay leaf
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer to thicken – roughly 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the gravy over the veggies to get the consistency you want – between 5 to 6 cups.
- Divide the filling among your ramekins or oven-safe bowls – or pour into one large glass pan.
- Cover with your choice of topping: vegan pastry or vegan phyllo dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes until topping is golden and filling is bubbling.
Notes: This recipe makes 6 large pies or 8 smallish